Monday, December 17, 2012

I'm Calling You Bullshitters

I'm all for sensible gun legislation. I fully support an assault weapons ban. I fully support a limit on bullets. I support having to show ID when you buy bullets like I have to do to buy Sudaphed. But I'm still angry that it's taken this to happen before Obama grew some balls. 

Obama has spoken at 4 mass shootings in his four years in office. Three of those mass shootings took place in 2012 alone and the year isn't over yet. 

West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin today asked how much more carnage involving our children must we endure. And as horrific as these deaths have been, we forget Columbine. 

Yes, one was a high school the other an elementary school. We lost teenagers and now we've lost babies. Either way we lost children who never got the opportunity to go to prom, graduate, go to college, get married, have babies. The ages of the children are different but the grief of the parent, as well as the nation should be the same. 

It's not just schools. Street corners in every major city are war zones. Yes we need gun control reform. Yes we need more mental health care options. But mentally unstable people will be able to get guns. The least we can do is make sure they cannot obtain unlimited rounds of ammunition and military assault weapons. 

You cannot tell me that your Christian philosophy tells you that God gave you the right to a gun and that right supersedes the right to life those victims had. I hear this argument coming from people who identify as Pro Life, Pro War, Pro Gun conservatives. I'm calling you bullshitters. 

When the second amendment was written the only guns we were given the freedom to process were guns that required us to stop and reload after every single shot. Our forefathers did not imagine semi automatic weapons capable of firing off 100+ rounds of child killing bullets in under 60 seconds. 

I don't have time for those of you who see making it harder for this to happen again being a personal affront to any liberty you have. Those children, those teachers, those parents and families had a GOD GIVEN right to LIFE. We all do and that right to Life is more important than your right to turn your home into an arsenal. There's a reason the founders who founded our country on the rights of Life, Liberty, and Happiness. There's also a reason they specified Life first. 

This past election I have largely respected the viewpoints of my friends and family which were in direct contradiction with my own. I didn't always understand those views and I sometimes left nasty comments in response, but I respected your right to that opinion. But I cannot and will not respect your opinions on not needing sensible gun legislation. 

I cannot respect you as a Right to Lifer when it comes to a fetus but not someone who is not equally fighting for the right to life of a child in a classroom. 

I'm seriously evaluating how much longer I'm going to continue to ignore these opinions. Political opinions are one thing but ignorance on the dire needs we have for sensible gun laws is something I cannot ignore and attribute to a simple personal opinion. 

Y'all know me. I'm very passionate about my beliefs. I'm sure many of you who need to see this probably have me hidden in your newsfeed. Your loss. But I will not back down. 

President Obama, as a supporter, Christian, and American I implore you to not rest until you sign a bill banning assault weapons and limiting ammunition. You had the opportunity to do so after Rep. Giffords was shot. You had the chance after the Colorado shooting. If you had put more political capital into leaning on Congress to pass more sensible gun laws these children may still be alive or the number of dead may have been greatly lessened 

I'm not stupid. I know gun laws won't stop these things from happening. More/easier access to mental health services won't eliminate these shootings either. The Lord tells us we will walk through the valley of the shadow of death. The Lord also says we should fear no evil because He is with us. But we do fear evil even though He is with us. And with more sensible gun laws and limits on ammunition these events will be less tragic. 

I don't ever want to hear the word "carnage" used in relation to anything other than referencing a battlefield of war. Certainly not in relationship to children whose only crime was going to school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment