Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Plans Are Made To Be Messed Up

Well, my last post dictated BIG plans for putting our daughter's room together on Saturday.  It didn't happen.  I started coming down with a chest cold that is now full blown bronchitis so I spent most of Saturday sleeping trying to fight off the germs.

Sunday we went to my brother's for his 30th birthday and I got to see my brother, his incredible wife, but most importantly my utterly adorable niece.  Oh my heavens she's my world!!!

Yesterday I woke up at Death's Door and even though I went to work, I ended up going to the doctor and getting an antibiotic and a cough medicine with hydro.codone.  I was worried about taking the cough medicine because I don't like narcotics so I didn't take very much last night.  Today (the doctor had me off work for the day) I was so miserable (feels like my ribs are broken. I've hurt less after spending a night throwing up then I do from these coughing fits) that I took more of the cough medicine twice today and I feel sooo much better.  I sound like a squeaky mouse but I feel so much better.

Tonight is Foster Parenting class #4.  We'll address issues related to grief and loss the child will go through as they are removed from their home or after parental rights were terminated as well as our own grief/loss for when children go home.  My parents are also meeting us there at 5:30pm to get fingerprinted so we have our approved emergency care givers that are necessary for our home study completion.

This weekend the beds for the boys will be delivered.  This weekend will be a very busy one where I will be working setting up bedrooms while Mr.Tomahawk will be cleaning out the basement.

Big events of last week:  We are now the proud owners of two emergency fire escape ladders and a seven pound fire extinguisher.  We're still trying to find a CPR/First Aid class to take to get that out of the way and then we need to get our TB tests.  Mr. Tomahawk can go to the local urgent care clinic to get his while I have to see my Rheumatologist to get mine.  At first I had to wait a week after my infusion to get it but now that I've gotten bronchitis I have to wait another week.  No biggie.

Mr. Tomahawk and I have been discussing when I will be quitting my job or whether or not I will continue working after placement.  I suppose we need to make a decision as to whether or not we want to foster to adopt, focus only on adoption or foster until we're selected for adoption.

We have expressed interest in THIS beautiful young man. We won't know anything about him or our chances of adopting him until our home study is completed and sent to the state agency in who makes the adoption decisions.  If we are not seen to be a match for him, THESE darling children are on our hearts. So we're kind of in a place where our hearts are already assigned to these children but are open to fostering.  We will only be able to have three children (four at most if we put two girls in the same room but I don't think the room is big enough for two people to share).  What do we do if we are fostering but are approved for one of these situations?  Is our second biggest bedroom large enough to have three young men in the room with a twin bed and bunk bed?  Could we do all four?

I guess we'll have to make that decision when the time comes.  I'm very excited for this change in our lives.   Mr. Tomahawk is also very excited.  He has been more apprehensive about three children than I; however, he finally explained to me why:  we have one bathroom.  Well, we technically have a toilet/shower in the basement so we have more than one potty but we technically only have one bathroom for all these people.  We have the ability to put in a half bath on the first floor and we intend to get estimates on completing that task.  But I thought it was hilarious that of all the usual things parents worry about the fact we have one bathroom was his biggest concern.  I love that man!!!

All of our furry children have been vaccinated as per foster care guidelines.  I giggled last week when I asked him what our home study will say and he said he'll list all kind of things including the names of our pets and the dates of vaccination.  Why did I giggle?



Meet our one and a half year old black cat:  Farty.  That means that somewhere in our home study will read: one cat, Farty, was vaccinated on March 8, 2012.  Hahahaha.  Someone at the state will look at it and go, 'they have a cat named Farty?'  Hahaha I just find that hilarious.  

Her name was originally Ellie Mae but she's such a stinker that I took to calling her Fart-tart and then that got shortened to Farty and now that's all she'll answer to.  So, she is our Farty Mae.  hahahahaha.

Well, I'm sure I'll be back to update on the progress later in the week.  Until then.......

No comments:

Post a Comment